Michael Peter Rubas, Attorney at Law
Michael Peter Rubas is an aggressive litigator and the founding member of the firm. His legal practice focuses on litigation, specializing in criminal defense, DWI defense, municipal court, and commercial litigation matters.
Following his graduation with high honors - magna cum laude - from The Catholic University of America’s Columbus School of Law, Mr. Rubas served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Thomas C. Brown, J.S.C. of the Essex County Superior Court. After his clerkship, Mr. Rubas was a member of the litigation departments for two of New Jersey largest law firms, Saiber, P.C. and Budd Larner, P.C. Mr. Rubas also worked for a brief period of time in Manhattan for the well-known firm of Brown Raysman, LLP where he appeared in courts throughout New York State.
Prior to the founding of the firm, Mr. Rubas was the original member of DiMaggio & Rubas, LLC. For nine years, Mr. Rubas lead the management of the firm with great success. It was here where Mr. Rubas became well-known and widely respected for his criminal litigation skills.
Mr. Rubas has been certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney. As of December 2016, approximately 250 attorneys hold this board certification in criminal law out of roughly 75,000 active lawyers in New Jersey.
Recently, Mr. Rubas obtained an acquittal with a 2 hour not guilty verdict on Murder, Felony Murder, Attempted Murder, and Weapons charges in the matter of State of New Jersey v. T.S. in the Union County Superior Court. Mr. Rubas was also defense counsel in the nationally publicized Short Hills Murder/Carjacking trial in the matter of State of New Jersey v. B.H. in the Essex County Superior Court.
Mr. Rubas has also as obtained acquittals in high profile, first-degree crime cases. For example, in February 2015, Mr. Rubas obtained an acquittal and his client’s immediate release on first-degree Carjacking charges in the matter of State of New Jersey v. J.C. in the Hudson County Superior Court. Mr. Rubas was also able to obtain an acquittal in April 2014 on first-degree Kidnapping charges in the matter of State of New Jersey v. K.W. Additionally, Mr. Rubas’ ability to obtain a mistrial in the double-murder trial of State of New Jersey v. S.B. was widely publicized throughout out the State of New Jersey in both the Jersey Journal and Star Ledger.
- The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
Washington, D.C., Juris Doctor, May 1998
- Muhlenberg College
Allentown, Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts Degree, May 1994
- Major: History/Minor: Economics
- Varsity Football (4 years) - Captain
- Phi Kappa Tau National Fraternity - President
• Certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Criminal Trial Attorney
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Court
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Hudson County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
Social Memberships and Associations
- Ironbound Irish-America Association
- Ironbound Executive Association
- Newark Athletic Hall of Fame
For more information, a free phone consultation is available to you by calling either the Hudson County office in Jersey City at (201) 222-1511 or Spring Lake Heights for Jersey shore area Municipal Court matters at (732) 449-1551.